Sunday 16 September 2012

At the Country Show

Every year our village holds a Country Show.  It is a wonderful event and has been running for 161 years.  It  has all the usual ploughing, horse events and the main ring hosts displays of working dogs, falconry and so much more.

We love it.  This years show was held last Saturday.  It was a beautiful day and so sunny all day.

As well as the other displays, there is also the produce and home crafts marquee.  This year I thought I would have a go and put some things in the baking section.

I decided to enter seven things then spent a couple of slightly stressful days baking - it turns out that I am really bad at making jam tarts! Plus my first attempt at a lemon cake looked decidedly unappetizing.

I stuck at it and by Saturday morning I had all my entries ready.  My husband had also entered the 'Man in the Kitchen' competition and made a beautiful Victoria sponge.

When we returned later that day after judging, we were amazed to see that husband had won first prize for his cake and I had won 3 Firsts, 1 Second and a Third, meaning we both won a trophy!



This is us very surprised with our spoils!

I think we might have annoyed some of the older locals who win every year - he he he!

It made a wonderful day even better!


5 comments:

  1. Aaargh! I can't see the picture.....I want to your smug looks!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on winning so many first! I bet they tasted delicious - yum! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You've done well! And hubby of course!

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! Good on you for having a go & I can well imagine that you will have upset some of the usual winners as it is the same here at our show, some expect to win every year!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done to you both. I had a go in ours quite a few years ago and won a couple. Now though numbers have tumbled and the same few people win all the time so don't bother.

    ReplyDelete