Saturday 10 December 2011

Christmas is coming.......

Christmas is rapidly approaching and for the first time I am just not feeling the Christmas thing.  Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas.  I love the build up, I love decorating the tree, getting out the books and the Christmassy films.

But this year?  Meh.

I am wondering if it is because it is the lack of television in the house (got rid of the TV earlier this year).  So for the first time in my life we have not been bombarded by endless Christmas adverts that start at the beginning of October.  No more adverts showing the perfect family enjoying a version of Christmas that just doesn't exist.  No more of that feeling of never living up to the happy, smiley, beautiful, well behaved telly families.   No more big, shouty 'IT'S CHRISTMAS, BUY STUFF'!

So perhaps this year it will be a bit more of a gradual festive time in our house.  The slow realisation of a special time.  Perhaps it will make the big day more special, instead of the slight deflated feeling that seems to accompany Christmas day for me.  Only time will tell.

But in the meantime, I think it could be time to get out 'It's a Wonderful Life' and crack open a Chocolate Orange.

1 comment:

  1. Life is great without TV, we've done both over the years & much prefer to be without... Music, the odd film & lovely peace & quiet!

    Kay :)

    ReplyDelete